Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Signs you know you have GOCD

This is my first attempt at Randy Seaver’s Genea-Musings Saturday Night Genealogy Fun, but when I read it I couldn’t resist.

The mission is based on Micheal John Neill’s post 10 Signs You Have Genealogy OCD.  Here’s my list (…I’m so GOCD I couldn’t even manage to stop at 10):

1. Your RSS Reader logs at least 300 new posts per day… all from other genealogists

2. You own more genealogy books than Amazon.com.

3. You continue to email info about your ancestry to living family members, even though they’re about as interested as the dead.

4. You have taken at least one photo of a tombstone for another genealogist.

5. You dragged your kids to the cemetery on a beautiful Saturday afternoon to accomplish #4

6. You’d rather listen to geneabloggers radio than go out on Friday night.

7. Your office is covered in paperwork – 1/10 work related, 9/10 genealogy related.

8. You have a separate email address just for genealogy stuff.

9. The only reason you joined Google+ was to stay in touch with other genealogists.

10. You know that the word genealogy contains only one “o.”

11. You actually enjoy driving (or doing laundry, or cleaning the house…) since that is the best time to catch up on all of the genealogy podcasts.

12. You have served your family at least one take-out dinner after forgetting to stop researching and start cooking.

13. And the most telling sign you have GOCD: You find yourself on a Saturday afternoon writing down all of the reasons why you know you have GOCD.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Genealogy Fun , ,

16 comments on “Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Signs you know you have GOCD

1. jane on said:

hello I just found your website thanks.

2. Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith on said:

Great start!
    Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

Dr. Bill ;-)
    Author of “13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories” and family sagas
    and “Back to the Homeplace” and “The Homeplace Revisited”

• 1ancestry2littletime on said:

Thanks! I definitely hope to (plan to…must!) continue. It’s been great so far. Thanks for the encouragement!

3. Elizabeth on said:

Welcome to GeneaBloggers! I love your list. I didn’t get to SNGF as I was away this weekend, so can I piggy-back on yours? #1: I’m not too bad, as I’m trying to limit how many genealogy blogs I subscribe to, but I had over 100 after being unconnected for two days. #3: I’m trying to not talk too much about my blog to my family unless they initiate conversation, as I’m afraid of boring them. #8, #9, #10: Yes, yes and yes. #11: Almost laughed out loud at this one. Folding laundry is a great time to listen to at least part of a podcast, and to try to avoid #12, listen to those genealogy podcasts while making dinner.

• 1ancestry2littletime on said:

Hi- thanks for the welcome. You have definitely given me an idea I hadn’t previously considered—- listening to podcasts while making dinner!! How cool to combat those two activities at once. Thanks!

4. Bart Brenner (GeneaPopPop) on said:

Welcome to the geneablogging community. It is good that you are participating in SNGF and #31WBGB. I like #13 in your list… You are ‘spot on.’ And it is fun to laugh at ourselves. Keep up the good work.

• 1ancestry2littletime on said:

I enjoyed your SNGF post as well, although I’m surprised “skipping out on fly-fishing to check the 1910 census just one more time” didn’t make it to the list. ;-) Thanks for stopping by, and for the encouragement!

5. Leslie Ann on said:

Stumbled on to your blog today, and glad I did. I enjoyed your GOCD list, especially number 10. I try to stay away from the computer on weekends (unless hubby goes off somewhere) so I usually miss out on the Saturday night genealogy fun. Wished I would have known about this one :-)

Welcome to the bunch! I look forward to reading more.

• 1ancestry2littletime on said:

Hi and thanks for visiting. I try to avoid the computer too but it generally never works. I have twitter set up on my phone and that’s where I saw the post about GOCD and SNGF… so off I went to my computer…. :)

6. Laura on said:

I can relate to all of your “symptoms”! Thanks for a great post!

7. Julie Tarr on said:

Could add “exercising” to #11 :)

Glad to have another geneablogger in the mix. Welcome aboard!

• 1ancestry2littletime on said:

Thank you for the welcome- and yes, that’s a good one for #11 too. I think I could come up with a top ten list just for #11. :)

8. Nancy on said:

OK this is funny and I can relate to it on one level, but really folks, some of you need to get a life! Get out and smell the roses, and not just the ones at the cemetery. ;)

9. Pingback: Saturday Night Genealogy Fun | 1 Ancestry 2 Little Time